Saturday 24 November 2012

Dear Katie,

Hi, I, um...see I'm not sure what to say to you Katie. DD talks about you a lot so I gather that you are important but I'm not sure if I should kick you out of my house yet. When she give me attitude she says 'I'm talking to Katie' or if she wants to play with me and I have to make dinner or feed her brother she sighs and says 'fine I'll play with Katie'. So I don't know if she even likes you, or are you around for when she's bored? I'm not quite sure. She tells me you are her sister yet you also have a baby sister with the same name as her brother (which baffles me to no end let me tell you).

The other day I tried to include you in our plans Katie I really did. I asked if we should set a spot at the table for you (gotta support the imagination and all) or make sure you came in the car with us to do some errands. It seems though that you exist only for DD because she just looked at me like I was crazy and said 'Mommy you know Katie is just pretend right?'

I do know this Katie, I'm fully aware that you do not really exist, it just baffles me that for someone who doesn't exist you permeate a lot of conversations in this house. You also have remarkably similar experiences to that of my DD. Apparently you had a day where you refused to listen to your mom and got in trouble just like DD. Speaking of your mom Katie can you explain to me how you are DD's sister, yet your sister (who has the same name as my son) is NOT DD's sister? Don't even get me started on how myself and my DH are NOT your parents yet you are still related to our daughter? Are you from a parallel universe Katie? If so what's it like there? Can you go back and forth for our world to your world or are you stuck here?

These are very serious questions Katie, I need to know how much of an impact you are going to have on our lives. Apparently you do not need me to acknowledge you for you to exist. Shall we call you convenient Katie? If you do plan on sticking around just let DD hang out with her other friends too, the ones I can see. Oh and one more thing, I am glad DD has the type of imagination to create you, this is all fine and good just looking for your importance in the grand scheme of things. Grand scheme being, do I need to pay for some kind of therapy now/later or are you just around because my kid is extra creative? If I had my choice I'd go for the latter instead of the former...just saying.

So as long as you don't give my daughter any bad advice you are welcome here Katie...I think...I'm new to this imaginary friend thing.

Chatty Mama

4 comments:

  1. I love this post! You are absolutely hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D Thank you friend it was a letter long time coming...lol

      Delete
  2. This kills me! The imaginations of children are hysterical sometimes! I love that when she's mad at you it's "Fine. I'll just go play with Katie." Bet you had no idea you'd be competing with a made-up buddy, huh? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shouldn't be surprised at her imagination but yet it still amazes me! I gotta say I never thought I'd be competing with an imaginary person...however most times she'll drop Katie like a hot potato if I can play with her ;)

      Delete